Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sweet, sweet, sweetbreads

I've never really been a "regular" anywhere. I suppose there's been a watering hole or two that I've frequented weekly(ok, maybe more), but when it comes to restaurants I have a wandering eye.

Although Louisville isn't necessarily a big city, it's residents are lucky to have so many dining options. From highfalutin to down home cooking, this town has a lot of independently owned restaurants, and the hubby and I try to visit a new one every week. That being said, we don't subject out of town guests to our hit and miss dining adventures, and tend to return to our favorites when they're visiting.

Friday before last we returned to the Germantown eatery, Eiderdown(previous post), and were happy we did.

I typically don't double up on reviews but I simply had to tell y'all about the sweetbreads we had at Eiderdown. Their menu changes often so I'm not sure how long they'll be available, but in my opinion they should give them a regular place next to Homer's Daydream.

These were the best sweetbreads I've had in a long time. They were mild and completely void of the organ meat flavor they can sometimes have. They were sauteed perfectly resulting in a great external texture and internal tenderness. They were sitting on some sort of amazing meat juice reduction. And they were accompanied by their signature cauliflower biscuits.

If you don't think you're a sweetbreads fan these might just convert you. And if you have some unadventurous eaters in your group order them anyway and tell them they're chicken. By the time they realize it's not chicken and you tell them it's the thymus gland of a calf, they'll be too far gone into flavor heaven to be mad at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment