Friday, November 19, 2010

Banh Mi - Try Something New This Weekend!

Ravioli in Italy. Pierogi in Poland. Dumpling in China. The list goes on. Isn't it funny how one good culinary idea can be found all across the world?

When you think about it food is something we ALL have in common, and it's something that can bring us all together. I remind people of this when they're hesitant to try new foods and I am reminded myself of this when I travel abroad.

In the spirit of adventure I urge you to try something new this weekend. Just as the dumpling is found in different ways across the globe, so is the sandwich! This one is easily one of my favorites. It's cheap. It's local. And like I said, it's certainly one of my favorite foods of all time. It's the Banh Mi...a Vietnamese delight!

Now, there are many different types of Banh Mi just as there are many different types of deli sandwiches, but they all have a few things in common...they're served on crusty baguette-type bread...they're filled with lots of fresh flavorful veggies like carrots and cilantro...and they're ALL delicious! If you can't decide then give anything with pork a try...I promise you won't be disappointed.

A few weeks ago I had a great Banh Mi at Pho Binh Minh here in Louisville and you can too! So if you don't have plans for lunch this Saturday or Sunday give it a shot. Step aside turkey club...there's a new sandwich in town.

P.S. They also have Pho and a number of other yummy Vietnamese delights. Go crazy and try 2 new things!

Pho Binh Minh on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for turning me on to this spot? Been there twice for Bahn Mi in the last month, bringing home extras for a midnight snack! Great place. The Pho rocks too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it! I haven't had their Pho yet. Looks like I'll have to make another trip for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll agree with you about Pho Binh Minh. I took a group of friends there on Saturday around 9PM. The food and service was excellent. I also loved the atmosphere of the place. I felt like we were dining at someone's home. The owner seemed like he had almost as much fun as we did; he handled our group of boisterous twenty-somethings with a deft hand.

    The owner and his wife were very nice!

    ReplyDelete