Monday, February 14, 2011

V-Day

The hubby and I don't really "do" Valentine's Day.

I mean sure, sometimes we'll cook a nice meal together and open a decent bottle of wine, but truth be told, that happens a few times a week anyway.

Sure, we could go out to dinner, but we do that once a week as well.

Jewelry? I have one birthday a year, a wedding anniversary and Christmas.

Flowers? Ok...I kind of like them...but I'm happy with the ones from the grocery store.

Basically my theory is that you should tell the one you love that you love them more than once a year...no overpriced card necessary.

But that doesn't mean that a nice gesture won't be appreciated on a day as over-hyped as this. My recommendation? Make your loved one something homemade...something sweet(literally)...and something easy enough that it allows you to spend a little quality time together. Make them these molten chocolate cakes(the way to ANYONE'S heart is through their stomach).

I've kept this recipe a secret for some time now. Ok, it's not exactly "mine" to keep. I ripped it out of a very well known cooking magazine, but I'm the only one I know who makes it, and if I found it first then "finder's keepers" right?

It is, honestly, the best dessert I've ever made...and quite possibly the easiest. I've served it at many a dinner party to rave reviews...I guarantee success.

Molten Spiced Chocolate Cabernet Cakes

Ingredients

4 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 tablespoon Cabernet Sauvignon or other red wine
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
6 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Butter 4 (6-ounce) custard cups or soufflĂ© dishes(I've made these in coffee mugs when I didn't have custard cups). Place on baking sheet.

2. Microwave chocolate and butter in large microwavable bowl on HIGH 1 minute or until butter is melted. Stir with wire whisk until chocolate is completely melted. Stir in wine, vanilla and confectioners' sugar until well blended. Stir in eggs and yolk. Stir in flour, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Pour batter evenly into prepared custard cups.

3. Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until sides are firm but centers are soft. Let stand 1 minute. Carefully loosen edges with small knife. Invert cakes onto serving plates. Sprinkle with additional confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment