Monday, May 24, 2010

Soup's On - A Delicious Surprise at South Philadelphia Taproom

The hubby and I, much like many other Philadelphia sports fans, are watching, with fingers crossed to see if the Flyers will make it to the Stanley Cup. So far, so good. After Saturday's win they're up 3 games to 1 over the Canadiens and a win tonight could put them into the cup.

When a Philadelphia team is this close to something big, Nick and I can't simply watch the games at home. One by one, game by game, we've been heading out to different bars and looking for exciting fans, exciting beers and of course, exciting food.

This Saturday we ventured down to the South Philadelphia Taproom in search of all these things. We really liked the atmosphere, the beer selection was good and the game was playing for a bar full of fans. But the thing that makes this bar blog-worthy is something you wouldn't expect...soup.

Nick and I never order something like grilled cheese when we're out (I mean, it's cheese and bread right?), but when we caught a whiff of the tomato soup that comes with it we couldn't resist. This soup deserves a cult following. I didn't take a picture because honestly, I didn't think it would be that good. They call it their "tomato lager soup", and I must know what's in it. It was creamy, but had chunks of tomato and small ribbons of green onion running through it. It was mild but all of the sudden hits you with the perfect amount of heat (I think hot sauce and the hubby thinks it's just Cayenne pepper...chef, if you read this, I would LOVE to know what adds the heat). Honestly, it's some of the best soup I've ever had. We sat there on a muggy day when you would never think to order soup, and sopped every last bit of it up with the grilled cheese.

You must try this soup. Even if soup is the last thing you think you want on a warm spring day, order it anyway. The grilled cheese is the perfect vehicle for transferring that amazing flavor into your mouth without having to hover over a steaming hot bowl. South Philadelphia Taproom has rewritten the rules about soup, and I would like to thank them for it.

P.S. We also had the Southern Fried Chicken wings with collard greens and they too were very good. The wings were crispy and fried perfectly. They could have used a bit more zing in my opinion, but the collards were right-on. I would recommend this dish as well.

South Philadelphia Taproom on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment